10.12.2009

Colorado Fall


I originally hail from Michigan where fall is an epic rage of color worthy of a tourist bureau. Here in Colorado it is a few weeks of vibrant yellows signifying winter is very close.

Most vacationers don't bother coming this time of year because it is too cold to golf and not cold enough to ski; which makes it very slow, almost becoming a ghost town.

Fall has been Ron and my favorite season since we have been doing the seasonal jobs.

We enjoy fall partially because yellow is prettier than white or brown, but mostly because it represents change. The changing of leaves, the changing of jobs, locations, situations.

The elk herds have been seen moving around the mountain. Porcupine, red tailed hawks, raccoons and fox walk around this time of year thankful for the lack of humans and reclaim their territory.

The black bears are still out fattening up. We have had a few get into trouble by breaking into homes and restaurants. They shot a mother and relocated her cubs. They still wander the streets up in Beaver Creek.

The grass up close is a riot of electric pinks and reds. From afar the grassy hills are a muted mauve.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you kids are back on the 'net. I so enjoyed your solitary adventures at GNP, and I'm already enjoying your new posts.

    And I hear you about the fall colors--I'm from NW Ohio and went to college in MI (Alma), and when I work at YNP, I miss oaks and maples and hickories and all the REAL trees! Pinus monotonous gets, well, monotonous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alma! I have driven past there tons of time. I grew up in Mason, MI and did college at Northern Michigan Univ. in Marquette (UP, eh!)

    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred J from Chapel Hill NCOctober 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

    Great to see you back on a blog! Those of us who only get to vacation in Glacier go through withdrawl every year and lament that nothing really compares. The webcams help, but I really miss your faux cam pictures of MG. Hope to see more great photos here of your corner of Colorado. Thanks for sharing.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete